Edit proof the PDF

• Which pdf-password option should we use to make the PDF edit proof? I am trying to make the PDF read-only and not let the users edit it.

• Bump, we are having trouble with this as well. We'd like the pdf to be able to be opened by anyone, but a tool will not allow changes to the pdf itself, either by protecting with a password, or otherwise just not allowing the edits.

Our request has the following:

{
    "template" : {"name":"directoryFourColumnTemplate","pdfPassword":{"active":false,"ownerPassword":"1234","protectionLevel":3}}
    "data" : ...
    }

We are using the jsreports docker image jsreport:2.5.0-full

When the pdf is rendered I can still edit the document, when I believe that protection level 3 should be print only. I am not sure how to get an example in the playground since it doesn't seem to have a way to make the request with the pdf-password extension?

• administrators

@rvidya i think that using both password and ownerPassword is enough to make the pdf not editable. is that not true?

the whole protectionLevel flag is a bit broken because i did not understand how the internally library that we use was working with that value, so months ago i asked a question to know better about it, after some months i see that i got a response https://github.com/galkahana/HummusJS/issues/358 which clarifies things a bit and it makes me think that i'm not using that option correctly.

can any of you tell me what tool are using to modify the PDF? maybe i can try to fix the protection level and then use the same tool to test that modifications are not allowed after the fix

• Thanks for replying @bjrmatos , using both password and ownerPassword is enough to make the pdf not editable, however, we would like the pdf to be able to open without asking for a password and just not let users edit the PDF.

I use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to see if I can edit the PDF.

• Hi @bjrmatos, how did the tool help you with testing?

• administrators

i did not had the chance to take a look at this problem, we are busy preparing jsreport 2.6.0, however i've created this issue https://github.com/jsreport/jsreport-pdf-password/issues/6 in which you can keep track of the progress.. after releasing the new jsreport we can take look at this.

Looks like your connection to jsreport forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.