Cannot append PDFs created by pdftk to report

• Hello,

I am trying to append a merged PDF document created by pdftk into a new report but am receiving an xref error:

error: Report render failed
    (because) invalid xref: xref expected but not found
    Error: Invalid xref: xref expected but not found
        at PDFXref.parseXrefObject (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\object\xref.js:107:13)
        at PDFXref.parse (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\object\xref.js:64:19)
        at Parser.parse (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\parser\parser.js:39:26)
        at module.exports.parseBuffer (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\parser\parser.js:99:10)
        at new ExternalDocument (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\external.js:7:20)
        at Object.append (node_modules\@jsreport\jsreport-pdf-utils\lib\pdfManipulator.js:29:23)
        at Object.append (node_modules\@jsreport\jsreport-pdf-utils\lib\proxyExtend.js:25:25)
        at Request._callback (sandbox.js:15:47)
        at self.callback (node_modules\request\request.js:185:22)
        at Request.emit (node:events:518:28) rootId=2emrsywhkmxopvw, id=2emrsywhkmxopvw

2024-04-30T22:04:29.879Z - error: Error during processing request at http://localhost:3000/reporting/api/report, details: Invalid xref: xref expected but not found, stack: Error: Invalid xref: xref expected but not found
        at PDFXref.parseXrefObject (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\object\xref.js:107:13)
        at PDFXref.parse (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\object\xref.js:64:19)
        at Parser.parse (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\parser\parser.js:39:26)
        at module.exports.parseBuffer (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\parser\parser.js:99:10)
        at new ExternalDocument (node_modules\@jsreport\pdfjs\lib\external.js:7:20)
        at Object.append (node_modules\@jsreport\jsreport-pdf-utils\lib\pdfManipulator.js:29:23)
        at Object.append (node_modules\@jsreport\jsreport-pdf-utils\lib\proxyExtend.js:25:25)
        at Request._callback (sandbox.js:15:47)
        at self.callback (node_modules\request\request.js:185:22)
        at Request.emit (node:events:518:28)

The pdf I am trying to append is a merge of multiple pdfs that are also merged pdfs. Let me illustrate what I mean. The below shows the folder structure of my report staging area:

root
    |
    ---- subfolder_1
    |    |
    |    ---- merged_1.pdf <--- created by pdftk by merging report_1.pdf and external.pdf
    |    |
    |    ---- report_1.pdf <-- gets created by jsreport
    |    |
    |    ---- external.pdf <-- uploaded by user, gets appended to report_1.pdf
    |
    ---- subfolder_2
    |    |
    |    ---- merged_2.pdf <-- created by pdftk by merging report_2.pdf, in this case, with nothing
    |    |
    |    ---- report_2.pdf <-- gets created by jsreport
    |
    ---- merged.pdf <-- created by pdftk by merging merged_1.pdf and merged_2.pdf

The issue I'm running into is that the merged.pdf file does not seem to be able to properly be appended.

The report I am trying to append to is doing a simple fetch for the pdf and then merging it via the pdfUtils.append function:

const request = require('request');
    const jsreport = require('jsreport-proxy');

async function afterRender (req, res, done) {
        // fetch pdf content
        request.get({
            url: /*endpoint to fetch merged.pdf*/,
        }, async (err, response, body) => {
            let buf = Buffer.from(body);
            res.content = await jsreport.pdfUtils.append(res.content, buf);
            done();
        });
    }

The endpoint it hits is defined as:

let getMergedReport = (req, res, next) => {
        let pdf = fs.readFileSync(`path\\to\\merged.pdf`);
        res.send(pdf);
    }

The reason for doing multiple merges is because I need to be able to append attachments to each subreport before merging them all together.

The report I'm trying to generate is a simple cover page that I would like to be able to show the page count of the entire report after merging it all together.

Is this due to a general incompatibility with pdftk or something else?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

• The pdf spec is very wide and we primarily focus on compatibility with chrome produced pdfs. Please share your external pdf somewhere so we can take a look why it is failing and if there is some quick fix we can provide.

• Sure, I've uploaded a sample of the output from pdftk here.

I should also note, after a bit of testing, it seems that even PDFs created by jsreport itself have this issue as well. If I create a report via jsreport and then try to fetch and append that PDF to my report, I also get the same xref error. Is this behavior expected? The reports I am creating through jsreport are using the chrome-pdf recipe with handlebars engine.

A sample of the jsreport output is here.

• I can append the shared pdf. Maybe you have a problem with your fetching code.
    https://playground.jsreport.net/w/anon/boQEZ3Ir

• Thanks for your help, it seems it was indeed the way I was fetching the data. I opted to use the 'http' module instead of 'request' and buffer everything into a Uint8Array first before trying to append, and that seems to have worked.

That leads me to my next question:

Is there any way to set the $pdf report data in the afterRender function? My assumption is no, but I'm hoping there is a less cumbersome way than having to do:

async function afterRender(req, res, done) {
        --snip--

// append merged doc
        res.content = await jsreport.pdfUtils.append(res.content, Buffer.from(buf));

// get $pdf object
        let $pdf = await jsreport.pdfUtils.parse(res.content);

// re-render this template with the $pdf object in data
        let actual = await jsreport.render({
            template: {
                shortid: 'id', // same template that is currently being rendered
            },
            data: {
                ...req.data,
                $pdf: $pdf,
            },
        });

// append merged doc again
        res.content = await jsreport.pdfUtils.append(actual.content, Buffer.from(buf));
        done();
    }

• That looks right. You need to re-render.

• Sorry, it seems my issue has not been resolved entirely; it's still having issues when trying to append a merged PDF, except now with EOL errors instead of xref errors. This error didn't present itself earlier, I'm assuming, because I was only doing a merge on one PDF using pdftk, which it seems was just doing a simple copy. Now that I'm including merging multiple PDFs, it's giving a different output that is erroring.

Looking at the location it's erroring in, it seems to expect there to be a line ending directly after endstream in the PDF, but my output PDF has a space first, then the LF.

0_1714683598971_upload-3792e06e-d70a-4a26-9030-e605844d50ad
    0_1714693935467_upload-cea90c79-0b8c-44e1-8460-e1cbcbacc1bc

Not sure if there is any way to reconcile this easily.

A sample of this file can be found here.

https://playground.jsreport.net/w/anon/ZL774wiw

• Thank you for sharing the pdf.
    I've fixed the problem so it should be supported with the next version of jsreport.
    We plan to release this week the most likely.

Looks like your connection to jsreport forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.