Chart as Images into docxtemplater

• Hi,

is it possible to render a chart with jsreport, write it into the sampled data object (Base64 encoded) and use it in a second step for docxtemplater (with the Image Module)?

Thanks!!
    Christian

• This could work maybe...

Create a separate template rendering chart into image using chrome-image recipe.
    Then create a beforeRender script hook attached to the main docxtemplater template. There invoke the rendering of the chart template
    https://jsreport.net/learn/scripts#rendering-another-template-from-script
    Use the result buffer, convert it to the base64 and pass it to the req.data in the format expected by docxtemplater.

• Thank you! This was the solution for my problem. You need the commercial version of docxtemplater, but it works in the online demo.

• @cachenbach which part of the implementation required the commercial version? I think I have this same use case. I'm not apposed to paying for it, but want to know that it is going to work in my case.

• @jan_blaha is there more documentation on the output from the jsreport.render() function? I'm trying to replicate this same use case. From your link above I see there is result.content but I don't know what it is, if it has properties, what format it is, etc. Thanks!

• @jamesamurr-bind I required the commercial version of docxtemplate (not jsreport) because of the image module, which is only available in the commercial version: https://docxtemplater.com/demo/#image

• @cachenbach were you able to trial the paid version? Thanks for the response.

• @jamesamurr-bind No, I did not try the trial. But I was able to "simulate" the result when I put the Base64 encoded image string into the docxtemplate demo.

• Got it. That makes sense! Thanks.

• @jan_blaha also could you give more info or documentation on how to "pass it to the req.data". I'm having a hard time finding more resources about using scripts to manipulate input data.

• hmmm is it similar to this example? Just modify the config if you want to change the config?

const jsreport = require('jsreport-proxy')
    async function beforeRender(req, res) {
      const assets = await jsreport.documentStore.collection('assets').find({name: 'myConfig'})
      const config = JSON.parse(assets[0].content.toString())
      req.data.config = config
    }

• That didn't seem to work. Here's what I was trying. Let me know how I should change it.

My docx document has

{myImageData}

in it.

Data:

{
        "myImageData": null
    }

My beforeRender script

const jsreport = require('jsreport-proxy')

async function beforeRender(req, res) {
      console.log('starting rendering from script');
      const result = await jsreport.render({ template: { name: 'DoubleDonutTemplate' } });
      contentAsBase64 = Buffer.from(result.content).toString('base64');
      req.data.myImageData = contentAsBase64.toString();
    }

This results in {myImageData} in the document to be replaced with undefined. So I can only guess that it's not working the way I expect. How do I set the req.data.myImageData variable correctly from the script? Do I need to invoke my script some way or does it run automatically?

• I figured it out! Turns out you have to select the script to be used by the template :) The above code was correct.

Whoops! Thanks again everyone for your help.

Looks like your connection to jsreport forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.