Unicode not rendering with chrome-pdf

• I have a report that should report a simple Unicode character. In this case a green circle. I’m running in docker with the standard docker image.

However, it seems to not render any Unicode characters. I have my charger as utf-8.

Any guidance or tips appreciated.

• administrators

hi @mteichtahl does it work on normal jsreport node.js installation? perhaps you can share the template, you can export it and share it here in the conversation

• Thank @bjrmatos

Yes. It renders correctly with a normal local installation.

I can't export the template due to confidentiality issues. However, below are some snippets that may be helpful.

The part of the table that should render the unicode is below

<tr style="vertical-align:middle;text-align:center">
                            <td style="font-weight: bold;vertical-align:middle;text-align:left">{{definitions.[PT1].[goalid]}}</td>
                            <td style="text-align:left !important">{{definitions.[PT1].[description]}}</td>
                            <td>{{definitions.[PT1].[goal]}}</td>
                            <td>{{attainmentYtd.[PT1].[mtdAttainment]}}</td>
                            <td>{{attainmentYtd.[PT1].[mtdTarget]}}</td>
                            <td>{{attainmentYtd.[PT1].[mtdAttainmentPercentage]}}%</td>
                            <td>{{attainmentYtd.[PT1].[ytdAttainment]}}</td>
                            <td>{{attainmentYtd.[PT1].[ytdTarget]}}</td>
                            <td>{{attainmentYtd.[PT1].[ytdAttainmentPercentage]}}%</td>
                            <td>{{{attainmentYtd.[PT1].[statusIcon]}}}</td> // <----- this doesn't render in docker / Amazon ECS
                        </tr>

The script that returns the text to be rendered is below

[v.area]: { ...v,
                            mtdTarget: pro1_plan[v.area].target,
                            mtdAttainment: pro1_actual[v.area] ? pro1_actual[v.area].completed : 0,
                            mtdAttainmentPercentage: (pro1_actual[v.area] ? pro1_actual[v.area].completed * 100 / pro1_plan[v.area].target : 0).toFixed(2),
                            statusIcon: v.ytdAttainmentPercentage >= 100 ? '🟢' : '🔴' // <----- These don't render.
                        }

• Any thoughts or ideas on the challenge above would be greatly appreciated.

• I see, I can replicate the same. It works for me on windows but not in the linux docker.
    Unfortunately, I haven't found a reference to this problem, you probably need to install some additional server fonts, but not sure which.
    It's a chromium thing we have no influence on, unfortunately.

• Thank you. Glad it’s not just me. I assumed that Unicode was supposed to work without font installation. I have seen a few other people with font issues. Whilst I understand it’s a chromium issue, perhaps understand how to track down and install appropriate fonts for the docker image - even if just documentation - would be super helpful.

M

• Hi. Is there any progress going on that will support unicode(emojis) on docker? Thanks!

• RUN yum install -y google-noto-sans* google-noto-emoji*
    ENV FONTCONFIG_PATH=/etc/fonts

I added this in my dockerfile and it resolved the issue of this (●) character not rendering. I was using the aws lambda base image. For emojis and all, you can similarly install any other fonts that you might need.

Looks like your connection to jsreport forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.