Architecture Overview?

• My initial thought is that I have a client side browser app, just for allowing a user to run existing reports, this then communicates to a nodeJs server implementation of my own, that in turn talks with the JSReportServer (or JSReportServer blended into my nodejs server code).

I do see in the restful API I could work with the JSReportServer directly and fill out the data argument in the restfull call. This just seems awkward. Seems like the server should handle the data.

So client side I use jsreport-browser-client-dist, then server side I use jsreport-client and in turn jsreport-client integrates with JSReportServer.

Do I have a reasonable understanding of the parts?

• administrators

I do see in the restful API I could work with the JSReportServer directly and fill out the data argument in the restfull call. This just seems awkward. Seems like the server should handle the data.

why do you feel awkward to pass data from browser to jsreport server directly? (it is a valid approach for some kind of reports) the flow will depend on your particular use case, your needs and what you feel more appropriately. we just support different flows to not lock anyone.

use jsreport-browser-client-dist if you want to keep everything simple and you have an UI in your web app to collect user data to generate a report. in most cases this is enough.

you can also decide that you just want to post the user data from browser to some custom url of your app, and then in your backend use that data and jsreport-client to communicate with the dedicated jsreport server and render the report. as always it depends on what you feel right and how many layers you need to control things in your app.

in most cases jsreport-browser-client-dist talking with jsreport server directly is enough, but you have the other options too.

• I'm using SQL server. I want to minimize things on the server. There are NodeJs packages for connected to SQL Server. I'm not sure sure about browser compatible packages to get direct access to sql server (suggestions)?. I don't want to add add to the sql server configuration to add a restful interface. I'll take a look around.

Any suggestions for packages/componentts to get microsoft sql server data direct to browser?

• administrators

I'm using SQL server. I want to minimize things on the server. There are NodeJs packages for connected to SQL Server.

here i made some comments about how to connect to a database inside your report. so you are able to use your favorite sql client node module and connect, read data from your database and then fill jsreport input data inside a script. (the script runs server side at the same time that your report is rendering)

Any suggestions for packages/componentts to get microsoft sql server data direct to browser?

hmm no, i think there is no way to connect to a database from a browser. but to be clear, if you don't want to create a restful interface for your data, you can define the queries for your report in a jsreport script as i mentioned above.

• administrators

also, be sure to read the scripts documentation to understand what is possible and how to configure it for your needs. (specifically the part about allowedModules)

Looks like your connection to jsreport forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.