Can't get jsreport to run using jsreport start

• administrators

yes, you should be able to start jsreport with just node server.js instead of jsreport start. there is no difference. the reason that you don't have the correct right port probably is because you don't have a dev.config.json file in your project, maybe it is called jsreport.config.json in your case (explanation bellow for why jsreport.config.json is not loaded for your project), you need to rename jsreport.config.json to dev.config.json

to add more about this, make sure you are not using new config format (what you see in current docs is the format of configuration for v2), since you are using jsreport 1.6.0 then the configuration is a little bit different, keys has other names or different shape, etc. an example of an old configuration for jsreport 1.6.0 is like this:

{
      "httpPort": 5488,
      "authentication": {
        "cookieSession": {
          "secret": "<your strong secret here>"
        },
        "admin": {
          "username": "admin",
          "password": "password"
        },
        "enabled": false
      },
      "connectionString": {
        "name": "fs"
      },
      "logger": {
        "providerName": "winston"
      },
      "blobStorage": "fileSystem",
      "tasks": {
        "allowedModules": "*",
        "strategy": "http-server",
        "timeout": 10000
      },
      "scripts": {
        "allowedModules": "*",
        "timeout": 40000
      },
      "assets": {
        "allowedFiles": "*.*",
        "searchOnDiskIfNotFoundInStore": true
      },
      "phantom": {
        "allowLocalFilesAccess": true,
        "strategy": "phantom-server",
      },
      "electron": {
        "allowLocalFilesAccess": true,
        "strategy": "electron-ipc",
      },
      "sample-template": {
        "createSamples": true
      }
    }

• Thanks for the clarification, that clears a couple things up a bit.
    I'm following the files on Dev as close as possible trying to keep Prod as close to Dev (which works fine) as possible, so I'm following its config format and only deviating when something doesn't work as expected.

I'm glad that running node server.js works for me, but do you have any ideas as to why trying to run the scripts in the package.json file don't work? Is this the same probable that we've been trying to debug or a different issue? I guess this means I can't write any of my own scripts there either then if it can't seem to find them.

• administrators

but do you have any ideas as to why trying to run the scripts in the package.json file don't work?

reading your old comment, your first script "start": "node server",, should be running with npm start, it will do the same that running node server.js if running npm start does not work then probably it is the same error that we were trying to debug.

your second script "jsreport": "jsreport" should be running with npm run jsreport, but that probably will give you an error that is related to the same error that we were trying to debug.

• So running either node server.js or npm start both work and do the same thing... without my customized port. I do have a prod.config.json defined, so if I run npm start --production then it runs with the correct port.

Running npm run jsreport gives me an error:

> jsreport-server@ jsreport [project-path]
    > jsreport

: No such file or directory

npm ERR! Linux 3.10.0-862.3.2.el7.x86_64
    npm ERR! argv "/usr/bin/node" "/bin/npm" "run" "jsreport"
    npm ERR! node v6.14.2
    npm ERR! npm  v3.10.10
    npm ERR! file sh
    npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
    npm ERR! errno ENOENT
    npm ERR! syscall spawn
    npm ERR! jsreport-server@ jsreport: `jsreport`
    npm ERR! spawn ENOENT
    npm ERR!
    npm ERR! Failed at the jsreport-server@ jsreport script 'jsreport'.
    npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
    npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the jsreport-server package,
    npm ERR! not with npm itself.
    npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
    npm ERR!     jsreport
    npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
    npm ERR!     npm bugs jsreport-server
    npm ERR! Or if that isn't available, you can get their info via:
    npm ERR!     npm owner ls jsreport-server
    npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
    npm ERR!     [project-path]/npm-debug.log

I'm assuming given what we've assessed so far this is not surprising?

• administrators

So running either node server.js or npm start both work and do the same thing... without my customized port. I do have a prod.config.json defined, so if I run npm start --production then it runs with the correct port.

ok, you can also do node server.js --httpPort 4201 in case you want to use another port but dont want to edit your config file when trying multiple different ports.

I'm assuming given what we've assessed so far this is not surprising?

yes, exactly. it is still a mystery for me too

• Thanks for your help so far. I really appreciate it.

• Is there a way to define in server.js which config it should use? Either dev.config.json or prod.config.json?

• administrators

i think the only way to do it in the version of jsreport you have (1.6.0) is by adding the following line at the top of your server.js file

process.env.NODE_ENV='development' // this will make it use dev.config.json
    // process.env.NODE_ENV='production' // this will make it use prod.config.json

• Or read file manually in server.js and pass it to jsreport :)

const jsreport = require('jsreport')(JSON.parse(fs.readFileSync('myconfig.json').toString())

• This first option worked great =)
    My issue was/is that I have a PM2 server watching to make sure jsreport doesn't go down, but when I tell pm2 to start my server.js file, everything starts up but it doesn't seem to pick my my prod.config.json, so it was running on the wrong port and lost the rest of my config options. It didn't seem to be picking up either of configs.. because both my dev and prod config files define my port as 4201.. but it started on the default port of 5488.

• Any idea why last week I my Angular app was connecting to jsreport and generating PDFs fine, and now I check it today and when I try to render a report I get this error:
    "Error during rendering report: Unexpected end of JSON input"

I haven't made any changes to it since since it last worked.

• Currently we have a bug that can cause inconsistency in underlying data in some edge cases.
    Please try to backup/remove files in the root of the data folder and start again.
    Usually the inconsistency is in the settings file which anyway contains just some logs.

• Ah sorry. I didn't read it carefully. The bug I was mentioning is in v2 and would produce different error. Please ignore previous comment. :)

• I just tried our Dev server (my other post was for our Prod server) and I'm getting the same error there. Dev has been working fine for months.
    Any hints as to where to look exactly for what might be causing this issue suddenly?

• Try to give us full output, it should be also in logs.

• administrators

Any idea why last week I my Angular app was connecting to jsreport and generating PDFs fine, and now I check it today and when I try to render a report I get this error:
    "Error during rendering report: Unexpected end of JSON input"
    I haven't made any changes to it since since it last worked.

hmm does this happens too if you open jsreport studio and try to render something? (it is just some check to see that there is no jsreport entity corrupted) so far it looks to me that this is caused by sending some bad json from your angular app, a quick check can be to try to render something from studio, if it works there then probably your angular app is sending bad data in some case.

• This is all it says:
    Error occured - Error during rendering report: Unexpected end of JSON input Stak - SyntaxError: Unexpected end of JSON input at Object.parse (native) at IncomingMessage.result.on (evalmachine.<anonymous>:13:46) at emitNone (events.js:91:20) at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:185:7) at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:978:12) at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:80:11) at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:104:9)

What's weird is that my app is bilingual. English and French use the same JSON that is sent to 2 different templates, one for EN and one for FR. When I send to the FR template it works, but when I send to the EN it gives this error. The ONLY thing that's different about the JSON being sent to both of these templates is the template var that is either set the EN's template ID or the FR template's ID.. that's it. And I've checked to make sure the EN template ID is correct, it is. The rest of the body data is exactly the same. Could there be something in the markup of a template that could cause this error?

• administrators

hmm i don't any clue so far, apparently the error message tells that there is bad json in incoming request, so if you say the the request for FR works and not the EN then it makes me think that the request for EN is somehow bad, but if you are 100% sure that both request are the same and just the template id changes then you can try start removing content (parts of your template) and other things referenced from you EN template until you find that it pass, it you get to a point that the template is totally empty (no scripts attached, just some simple message like "Hello world") and the request still does not pass then the problem is (100% sure) the request that your angular app is doing and you will need to do in depth debugging to your app to find out the problem. (of course before changing your EN template for the test make sure to do a copy so you don't loose your original content)

• I fixed it!
    Although I don't know why what I did worked.

Turns out it was something with my English template. I made a new template and literally copied and pasted all the info from my original EN template to the my new one and changed the template ID in my app and it started working. If I change the ID back the old EN template I get those errors. So somewhere along the way something happened to that template, but it's not in the markup since I copied all that into the new template and that works fine. It must be something else somewhere in files that we don't touch.
    Weird.

Looks like your connection to jsreport forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.